About ME

My photo
Grand Prairie, Texas, United States
Mr. E is a Christian, Husband, Father of 2, former Army Officer and Texas Rangers Baseball fan.

Saturday, May 3, 2008

Why I Teach

Sometimes I forget why I chose to teach in the first place. The pay is nowhere near what the job is worth, the discipline problems with students and their parents grow worse every day, and the unrealistic expectations put on teachers by the state are driving more and more teachers away every year.

Just when you think all is lost, God sends me reminder why I teach. Even though I no longer teach in the public schools, it was from one of my former students that God spoke to me.

Today (Friday, May 3, 2008) I received an envelope from the current principal of Gilmer High School. In the envelope was a "Thank You" note with the following: "Mr. English, Our students wrote essays about teachers who have had a positive impact on their lives. Name of student withheld...wrote about you. I though you might like to have a copy of what she wrote."

Folded up inside the note was the following letter...

"History was not my subject. I couldn't have cared less about the distant past of the aging world. The teachers just neglected to provide the drive to listen. Which soon changed when I walked into my eighth-grade American History classroom. There was Mr. English with his awesome smile and the desire to spread his knowledge. The bell rang and we sat.

'"Does anyone in here know anything about America?" Mr. English questioned. "I hope you don't. I wouldn't want to spoil the intelligence any of your past teachers might have handed out to you on a sheet of paper." He said this with a kind of humorous tone. I'd imagine he said that to every class that walked through that old, rusted door.

After his speech on the student body's lack of knowledge on the subject, he sat down and told us to introduce ourselves to the class. One by one, my classmates and I stood up and shared our story. Then Mr. English sat silently for a horribly quite five minutes and then he quoted something from the Constitution. Then he remarked, "That was history in the making right in front of you. Do you understand? You ARE history!"

Wow! I'd never thought of that. It was like the class was enlightened with the desire to know what he knows. We wanted to listen to his teachings. That's exactly what he wanted.

Since that day, I have enjoyed the subject. No one has taught history with more interest and determination than Mr. English. I would absolutely hate to find him teaching any other subject. I thank him for providing that drive I so longed for; for inspiring me to listen and understand the wonders of the past."

Thank you, Name of student withheld...for reminding me why I chose to teach in the first place. I hope you reach your dream of becoming the "First Woman President of the United States." Well, maybe the 2nd if Hillary Clinton somehow manages to beat you to it.

No comments: