About ME

My photo
Grand Prairie, Texas, United States
Mr. E is a Christian, Husband, Father of 2, former Army Officer and Texas Rangers Baseball fan.

Friday, May 16, 2008

Movie Reviews: The Great Debaters & Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

Today I got to watch two different movies. My Adult Education class watched The Great Debaters staring and directed by Denzel Washington. This movie is based on the true story of the 1935 Debate Team of Wiley College in Marshall, TX. (Just so happens to be about 40 minutes from where I live.) This movie was an excellent story about perseverance and determination in a time filled with racism and prejudice. I thought the movie was very well done and it addressed several prominent social issues of the times. I especially liked the final debate speech over Civil Disobedience given by Wiley College against Harvard University. I highly recommend this film.

The second movie I got to watch with my children. After school today we watched The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian. Wow, another powerful movie. This movie based on the Narnia books by C.S. Lewis was a worthy sequel to the first Narnia movie The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. I picked up several good points from this movie. The first was that we often under estimate the power of God based on size and appearance alone. The second is that we often truly believe that God is there but we don't go to Him when He calls or when we need Him. Third, we often don't trust that God will really protect us or take care of us, so we try our best to do things based on our own abilities. These behaviors often lead us to failure or less than perfect results. Only when we fully rely on God and His power and love for us, can we be successful. I also highly recommend this film.

Both of these films will make my top 100 movie list if not my top 25 movies.

On a different note: I am really missing my bride, Jamie. She is still in Michigan attending her grandmother's funeral. The kids are missing her as well. She should return to us on Sunday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But the company does not merely operate solely in the Usa State they also offers his or her line of products to the various [URL=http://www.nfoutletonline.net/#1014]north face outlet locations[/URL] of the world like in The european countries, Asia, Canada, Australia and Latin America.But do you know that the company that has been research [URL=http://www.nfoutletonline.net/#1151]north face outlet store[/URL] as huge company of outdoor equipments used to be simply a small retail store before?