About ME

My photo
Grand Prairie, Texas, United States
Mr. E is a Christian, Husband, Father of 2, former Army Officer and Texas Rangers Baseball fan.

Saturday, February 23, 2008

This's and Thats

This is an observation I made during my men's Bible study class last Wednesday night. The room we study in does not have a visible clock for us to check our time. Somewhere near the end of class the study leader asked what time is was, to make sure he wouldn't start something new and not have enough time to discuss it. Every man in the class who was abt. 50 or older looked at their wrist to see the watch they were wearing. Every man in the class who was abt. 40 or younger (this included me, even though I will be 41 on Tuesday), pulled out their cell-phones to check the time. I guess it is a "sign-of-the-time" so to speak. It really showed the dependency the younger generations have on the new technology.

That Nintendo Wii is back. It has already started to eat away at our quality family time together. It arrived back a little quicker than we thought it would. It was waiting on our front porch (thanks to UPS) when we got home from school and work on Thursday. There has already been one argument over playing it and since it located in the main living room, it uses the main television so "I" (selfish) can't watch some DVD movies we have from
Netflix. I sort of enjoyed the quite we had around the house without the Wii. Somehow I think Satan just loves video games and television. Maybe my family should follow the example of Tech Daddy and give up television and video games. They seem to be doing fine without them.

This is what I think of the "CONSPIRACY" the home entertainment system is forcing us to conceed to. I don't like the fact that we have to buy a "converter type box" just to "downgrade" the new High Definition television signals, so we can watch television on our older televisions. Our television works just fine without High Definition why do we have pay extra money just to keep watching television that we still won't get in High Definition? It's another reason why we should possibly give up television like
Tech Daddy. Another "CONSPIRACY" is the plan to stop making DVD style movies. Many movie companies plan to start using Blue-Ray for all their new movies within the few years. This means that all my DVD movies that I have (that I had just almost finished switching over from VHS), must now be switched over to Blue-Ray. A young fellow at Game Stop advised me to just buy a Sony PS3 game system instead of a regular Blue-Ray disc player. He told me the PS3 will not only play the PS3 and PS2 games, it will also play regular DVD movie discs as well as the new High Def. or Blue-Ray discs. Great that's all I need is another video game system in our house. I'm telling you it's a Conspiracy!

That recent lunar eclipse that just happened. Well, we couldn't see it. Storms were moving in that night and totally blocked our view of this semi-rare event. We saw the first part of the Earth's shadow start to cover the moon, then the clouds rolled in. The only images we saw after that were on TV or pictures from the internet. What a bummer. We really wanted to see the eclipse.

On another note: I'm already tired of the Presidential campaign commercials appearing on my TV. Every morning I am greeted with Hillary or Barack telling me how they are the better choice for change in America! I have only seen one McCain ad, and surprisingly I have not seen any Huckabee ads. There are some Ron Paul signs up and about along with Obama signs. I'm just ready to vote on March 4 and get my primary over with. At least us Texans still have somewhat of a choice when we vote. I hope you bloggers in Indiana still have a choice on who to vote for by the time your primary comes around in May.

1 comment:

Tech Daddy said...

I'll do a post tonight on how the no television thing is going in response to your comment.

By the way, even though I'm under forty, I check my watch. Not only do we not have a TV anymore, we only sort of have a cell phone. Last year we got one of those pre-paid Trac phones from Wal-Mart for a road trip. My wife now carries it around with her for emergencies or special needs (such as date night so that the baby sitters can reach us, not that that happens as often as it should). The rest of the time it remains powered off.

Back in 1997 when I started work for my current company, I was issued a pager on my first day there. I think it's been replaced one but I still carry a pager as the method for the company to reach me in critical situations. Most of my colleagues have one or more cells by which the company can reach them. I call them "electronic dog leashes".