About ME

My photo
Grand Prairie, Texas, United States
Mr. E is a Christian, Husband, Father of 2, former Army Officer and Texas Rangers Baseball fan.

Sunday, September 16, 2007

An Incredible Weekend

My wife and I returned from our Vow Marriage Retreat weekend today. What a weekend! It was probably the best few days I have spent with my wife in a long time, if not ever. The Location was at Pine Cove Christian Camp near Tyler, TX. When we arrived Friday night we heard a speaker who gave us a few lessons on communication. His topic was taken from the books by Emmerson & Sarah Eggerichs called, Love and Respect. After the speaker we took a "hayride" around the camp. The night stars were a beautiful testimony of God's presence there.

The next day started with my wife and I getting up and sitting on a bench together overlooking the sunrise at it rose over the camp pond. After a terrific breakfast, we took a horseback ride around the camp. It was a blast! My horse was named Ulysses and my wife's horse was called V-8. Although my wife was a little nervous, after her last horse riding experience, she really enjoyed the ride. We want to go back or plan our horse riding experience with our children. Then we heard Part 1 of seminar over basic management of money, by looking at our spending habits as a couple. After a great lunch, we finished off the money management seminar by listening to a fellow who does money management counseling with couples. Although we picked up a few things, to me it was the most boring part of the weekend.

Later that afternoon, my bride and I tried our best to climb a rock wall. It was much harder than it looked. Even though we didn't make it very high, at least we tried. Then we immediately went down a zip-line that was about 30-35 feet high. We are both terrified of heights, but we did it anyway, despite a couple of attempts by me to "chicken out." I am so glad we did it though. We conquered our fears together. Next came a short class on how couples can learn to play together like we did during our dating time. It was fun to reminisce on the past of dating and look forward to playing with other again. That evening, after a wonderful dinner, the moment my wife and I were waiting for came, The Dance Lessons.

My wife and I had spent the days before the retreat looking for pairs of dance shoes, which of course comes with a new dress for my wife. Needless to say, when it came time for the dance lessons, my wife and I "out dressed" the other couples. When we arrived, I could see the heads of the other husbands, look over at my wife, and the jealous eyes of the other wives, were looking close at my very sexy wife. I felt so proud to be with my wife at that moment. This attractive, sharp dressed lady, was with me! The dance lessons were outstanding. We learned basic waltz, tango and double-two step. Other couples told us the next day we were "tearing up" the dance floor. I loved dancing with my wife. I loved being close to her, moving with her, and looking deeply into her eyes as we moved in rhythm to the music. Yes, I did step on her toes once or twice, but overall I think we did very well. We can't wait to go dancing again! (P.S. Another couple did catch us on video doing some dancing together. They are supposed to e-mail us the video. If they do I will post it so you can see us.)

The next morning, My wife and I woke up to a pancake breakfast. Then we took a canoe ride around the pond. While on the pond, we saw the horses we rode on the day before stopping by the pond for a cool drink. They looked so majestic as they stood on the bank watching these amateur canoeist. It was a perfect ending to a perfect weekend with my wife. I love my wife so much and am so glad we went on this retreat together. I will cherish the memories of this weekend forever. Thank you, LORD for my wife, my family, and our commitment to help our marriage and family grow stronger in You!

3 comments:

Tech Daddy said...

That sounds like it was a really great weekend. I think it's wonderful that you are still willing to work on your marriage to make it better. My wife and I used to go to a marriage conference (put on by the Family Life ministry) every year, until we had kids. It was always a great time to refocus and remind us of why we love each other and how we should be treating each other. I'm looking forward to the day when our kids are old enough that we could take a weekend away.

tammi said...

I LOVED this post! It's so refreshing to hear a MAN say how and why he actually enjoyed dancing with his wife. Very touching. I'm definitely interested in seeing that video!!

Mr. E said...

No video will be posted. My wife vetoed the idea! Sorry! -- ME