About ME

My photo
Grand Prairie, Texas, United States
Mr. E is a Christian, Husband, Father of 2, former Army Officer and Texas Rangers Baseball fan.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Favorite Childhood Books

I have always been a book lover. Since I was a child I loved to read. Here are few of my favorite books from when I was younger:

My favorite childhood book is...Alexander and the Magic Mouse by: Martha Sanders. It is about a Little Old Lady who lives in a huge house on a hill. The house overlooks a river with a small town on the opposite shore. The Lady lives with a Crocodile, named Alexander, a Brindle London Squatting Cat, a Yak, and a Magical Mouse. One day a huge rain storm came and threatens to wash away the town. Warned by the Magical Mouse, the Little Old Lady, attempts to warn the town of the impending danger. In the end, Alexander becomes the hero who saves the day. I loved this book. I still love this book. I own a copy and read it to my children on occasion on rainy nights.

Other favorite books are:
Petunia by: Roger Duvoisin (about a duck who thinks just because she carries a book around with her, makes her smart)
The Little House by Virginia Lee Burton (about a beloved little house in the country who feels neglected after she is slowly enveloped by the growing city)
Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel by: Virginia Lee Burton (about a man named Mike and his steam shovel, and how they feel they are slowly becoming less useful as newer and faster motorized shovels are coming into more use)
The Monster at the End of This Book by: Jon Stone (featuring one of our favorite Sesame Street monsters, Grover, as he tries to prevent the reader from reaching the end of the book, because there is a monster there)
Green Eggs and Ham by: Dr. Suess (everyone knows about this story and how Sam tries to convince a fellow to try some green eggs and ham)
The Berenstain Bears by: Stan and Jan Berenstain (later Mike Berenstain) (about a family of Bears who live in the country)
Gus and the Baby Ghost by: Jane Thayer and Seymour Fleishman (about a Ghost who has to take care of an orphaned baby ghost)
Where the Wild Things Are by: Maurice Sendak (about a young boy who used his imagination to travel to a far away land and becomes king of the wild things)
and Harry the Dirty Dog by: Gene Zion and Margaret Bloy Graham (about a dog who refuses to take a bath and ends up getting so dirty his family does not recognize him)

These are just a few of my favorite childhood stories. I also read The Three Investigators Mystery Series by: Robert Arthur, as well as the Encyclopedia Brown books by: Donald J. Sobel. I highly encourage that Dad's read their favorite childhood stories to their kids. Not only will you enjoy sharing your memories, but you will be spending great quality time, without television, with your children.

2 comments:

penguinsandladybugs said...

And of course....Horton Hatches an Egg, also by Dr. S!! And, and, and Fox In Socks!!

Tech Daddy said...

Where the Wild Things Are is one of my favorites, and I own it. Reading is big at our house. The kids get books from the library and we spend the next few days reading and re-reading them.