About ME

My photo
Grand Prairie, Texas, United States
Mr. E is a Christian, Husband, Father of 2, former Army Officer and Texas Rangers Baseball fan.

Thursday, May 8, 2008

A Little Cartoon Forgivness Please

The local Christian radio station, KVNE, has a day of the week where kids can call in their favorite songs from 7:00-8:00 a.m. It is called, "Loving Kids Thursday." One of the most requested songs is The Cartoon Song by Chris Rice (click here for lyrics). In this song Chris Rice sings about the hypothetical world in which Cartoons could by saved by Jesus and their different and unique ways of singing "Hallelujah!" in celebration. However fun this song is, I have grown disturbed by one of the lines of the song.

The lines talk about the MTV created cartoon characters Beavis and Butthead. According to the Cartoon Song, when it comes to these two very immoral characters, they do not get a chance to sing "Hallelujah" because they are not "saved." Now, I hate the B&B cartoon show as much as anyone, but to not allow the grace of Jesus to cover them is a travesty. These two fellows deserve the grace of God more than many of the other cartoon characters mentioned in the song. If God's grace is not big enough for Beavis and Butthead, then what makes us think it is big enough for us?

I would love to hear an updated version of the song, in which Beavis and "that other guy" realized they too have been granted grace by Jesus, and they get to sing "Hallelujah, He.He.He.He" (that's supposed to be a laugh). I may not be as destructive or bizarre as B&B, but I too plan to laugh my head off when I get to Heaven; not because it is funny, but because it will just be so unbelievable that God chose to love me. I hope I get to sing "Hallelujah" with many other B&B types in Heaven, not just "all those little blue guys."

5 comments:

Scott said...

Every time I hear the song, I think the exact same thing.

I think the big difference is that the rest of the cartoons I would let my children watch. Including Beavis and Butthead in the same way as the rest might seem to indicate an endorsement of the actual cartoon which would not be wise.

I'm impressed that you know how to laugh like a butthead! He. he. he.

Mr. E said...

I watched a couple of episodes of the Beavis and Butthead show when I was younger. Just enough to think, what a stupid show, then I never watched them again; however, the laugh of Butthead sticks with you.

penguinsandladybugs said...

I never thought it was b/c they weren't saved before...I thought it was b/c he didn't know how they would say "hallelujah"--interesting point. If that was the intention of the song writer--I agree with you.

Anonymous said...

If you read what the writer had to say about the song... he came up with it spur of the moment in ten minutes during a christian camp. Would you have known how beavis and butthead would have sang hallelujah? Notice none of the other characters said hallelujah and then something else. I'm sure he he he lujah just didn't cross his mind during his impromptu musical.

People read way too much into a silly song that has brought much more positive attention to Jesus than not.

The truth is... they ARE cartoons. Which means in truth... none of them... especially Beavis and "that other guy" would ever say, much less sing Hallelujah.

Did anybody read the lyrics of the end of the song?

"But there's a lot of praisin' to do
And cartoons weren't made for that
It's our job
So, let's sing hallelujah"

Take it for the joke it was meant to be.

Trans Dykes on Bikes for Christ said...

How about

Beavis and that other guy?

Cool.