About ME

My photo
Grand Prairie, Texas, United States
Mr. E is a Christian, Husband, Father of 2, former Army Officer and Texas Rangers Baseball fan.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Way to Go Buckeyes, Way to Go!

It's not often that I want to or get a chance to brag on my old high school Alma Mater! Today I get the chance to do just that.

My old high school is Gilmer High School, home of the mighty Buckeyes!
Gilmer ISD is one of only two schools in the nation with Buckeyes as their mascot; the other being Ohio State University. I honor our old school colors of orange and black by assigning these colors to today's blog. I graduated from Gilmer High School in 1985. I even got a job as a teacher there from 1998-2007, teaching grades 6-8, in the fine academic arts of World Social Studies, Texas History, and U.S. History- from Colonization to Reconstruction.

Today my old school made me proud. The Gilmer ISD School Board passed a measure that allows
Gilmer High School to teach an elective Bible course as part of its curriculum. Wow! The students would have to pay a tuition to take the course and the course would be taught at night. The curriculum will focus on the literary and historical aspects of the Old and New Testaments of the Bible.

What allowed Gilmer ISD to be able to add such a course to their curriculum? Apparently the Texas State Legislature deserves some credit... according to the linked article above..."The 80th Texas Legislature in 2007 passed House Bill 27, which allowed school districts to teach an elective class on the Old and New Testaments and their impact on history and literature. Another Wow!

Way to Go Buckeyes, Way to Go! -- Actually it should be, Way to God, Way to Go!

1 comment:

Big Doofus (Roger) said...

It's amazing how different things are when you move just a few states to the "Left" (I mean, West).