About ME

My photo
Grand Prairie, Texas, United States
Mr. E is a Christian, Husband, Father of 2, former Army Officer and Texas Rangers Baseball fan.

Monday, March 31, 2008

Hey! I'm a Handy Man

Normally the words "Handy Man" and me don't go well together. I sadly tend to defer to my father to help me out when it comes to changing out plumbing or electric items. This has sadly also come with a price. Not only has it given my dad the "authority" to feel he can tell me what to do when it comes to trying to fix up my house or other advice about insurance etc..., it also gave me feelings of inadequacy about my own manhood. I have always felt doubt or fear when it came to even attempting to do something a "handy man" would do.

Today, I took matters into my own hands. Our kitchen faucet was leaking. Leaking so bad it was starting to run out onto the kitchen floor. I checked out the situation and determined the washers and connections to our kitchen faucet were old and out of date. So the wife and I decided to buy a new faucet. Still not sure of my own abilities I called my dad to see if he could help me take out the old faucet and install the new one on Tuesday. When I got home, however; I was determined to change out the faucets by myself, without my dad's help.

I got home, changed clothes, took out my tools and started to work. I did find out there is very little work room under a kitchen sink. After much groaning, twisting, and praying that God give me the strength to do something by myself, I finally got the old nuts/bolts/washers (whatever) loosened and the old faucet was gone. Following the "easy install" directions, I soon had the new faucet installed. After a few checks for leaks, the faucet was declared usable by me!

I (thanks be to God) did it! I was a Handy Man. This has given me a great boost of confidence (again thanks be to God), that has helped me decided to try another little project in the next few days.

The only thing that has dampened my mood about being a "Handy Man", was that while I was fixing the faucet; I was listening to my Texas Rangers getting beat up by the Seattle Mariners to start the 2008 MLB Season. They (the Rangers) are currently loosing 5-2 in the top of the 8th.

P.S. -- added 4-1-08 (The Rangers lost 5-2) Bummer!

1 comment:

Tech Daddy said...

Congratulations on installing the new faucet. Believe me, I understand about the tight spaces under the sink - been there and done that.