About ME

My photo
Grand Prairie, Texas, United States
Mr. E is a Christian, Husband, Father of 2, former Army Officer and Texas Rangers Baseball fan.

Monday, March 17, 2008

Dominion by Randy Alcorn (A Book Review)

I just finished reading the book Dominion by Christian author Randy Alcorn. This is the second book of a series of three. The first is called Deadline, the last series (which I will read soon, I hope) is called Deception. These books focus on three individuals, who are connected through a common friend, and their heart wrenching journeys to spiritual discovery of their personal relationships with Jesus and God.

Deadline focuses on Jake Woods, a journalist, who has to deal with the death of two of his best friends. His journey mainly focuses on abortion and homosexual issues, among others. It is a very good read. It sets you up for the 2nd book.

Dominion focuses on a friend and co-worker of Jake's named, Clarence Abernathy. He is a black man who looses his sister and niece to what seems to be a random act of gang violence. This books focuses on his struggles to find a middle ground between being a successful black man living in a white world and his personal relationships with his family and God. This book mainly focuses on the issue of race, stereotypes, prejudices and racism as a whole. I learned a lot about how blacks see us (me in particular) as white men and I learned a lot about Gangs. This book is a great read, and it made me do a lot of thinking about what I feel towards my fellow man.

The last book will focuses on the life of a detective friend of Jake's and Clarence's named Ollie Chandler. I can't wait to read it.

If it wasn't for the sensitive nature of Dominion I would ask some of my adult students at school about their opinions. But I might have to wait and ask some closer friends at church.

No comments: