About ME

My photo
Grand Prairie, Texas, United States
Mr. E is a Christian, Husband, Father of 2, former Army Officer and Texas Rangers Baseball fan.

Sunday, January 6, 2008

Wanting to be Lazy on a Sunday Afternoon

It's the first Sunday of the New Year and I want to be lazy! To bad the ugly ole' world has a few other plans.

1) Today is our grocery shopping day. We would go on Saturdays but the coupons come out in the papers on Sunday. Since my wife and I subscribe and use the services of The Grocery Game we clip and organize our coupons on Sundays after church and then hit the stores to find the best deals. It really helps with our grocery budget.

2) Inspections are today! We all have certain "chores" and responsibilities in our home. On Sundays, the Wife and I go through a checklist to make sure everyone is doing their part in keeping our home clean and happy. So things get to be a little busy, (esp. if you haven't finished your part of the chores), trying to get things ready for inspection.

The inspections don't normally take that long, but the shopping can last a while depending on how busy the stores are. This takes up time that I would love to have just relaxing on the couch, reading, or watching the football playoffs. (In the spring and summer, I watch baseball!) Maybe I just want to take a nap!

Oh well, responsibilities are responsibilities! Maybe I can catch a few winks when we get back from the store...Gotta Go!

3 comments:

Scott said...

I hope you got at least a short nap.
The angels announced "Peace On Earth," and I like to practice a little Peace On Couch at some point every weekend.

I'm curious. What happens to children with bad inspections?

Mr. E said...

Children who do not pass inspection pull a "Good Habit" card or two from the "Good Habits to Reinforce" stack. They must do these habits immediately, without complaint. (Unless it is to late at night to do them) If they choose not to do these cards, they essentialy ground themselves in their rooms, with only a litmited amount of activity. They stay grounded until they decide to do what is listed on the cards. Even parents must pull a card if they fail to do their part of the family routines or if they break a rule.

Big Doofus (Roger) said...

I try to do an inspection every weeknight when I get home from work. First I go over their school work mostly to make sure that they DID all of the work. I grade some of it, too, but leave a lot of that for the teacher (i.e. Miss Sniz). Then I SAY that I'm going to inspect their chores but usually manage to forget it. When I go upstairs and see how messy their bathroom is while tripping over stuff to get there, I realize that I need to do a better job the next day.

It all reminds me that it takes real effort and work to be a parent. I may think I'm getting away with skipping a few details or even days here and there, but I'm not getting away with anything and we all suffer because of it. I may not be able to pull out a "Good Habit" card, but I know that I need to get back on it when it comes to being THE ENFORCER at home.