About ME

My photo
Grand Prairie, Texas, United States
Mr. E is a Christian, Husband, Father of 2, former Army Officer and Texas Rangers Baseball fan.

Thursday, October 4, 2007

My Favorite School House...School House Rock!


"As your body grows bigger, Your mind grows flowers,
It's great to learn, Cause knowledge is power!
It's Schoolhouse Rocky, That chip off the block
Of your Favorite schoolhouse, Schoolhouse Rock!"

Bring back memories?? How about these?
"I'm just a bill, yes, I'm only a bill,"...."Conjunction Junction, what's your function?"..."Inter-planet Janet, she's a galaxy girl,"..."A man and a woman had a little baby, yes they did. There was three in the family, it's a magic number."

One of my favorite animated cartoons of all time was the educational series, Schoolhouse Rock shown during the late 70's and early 80's. Schoolhouse Rock was created to teach children basic educational facts by using catchy songs and animation. The "school" was divided into 4 sections. There was America Rock, that taught about American History/Government, Grammar Rock, which taught the basic parts of speech and grammar, Multiplication Rock, which taught multiplication, (duh!) up to 12, and finally Science Rock, which taught basic facts about the human body systems, the planets, electricity, gravity, and saving energy.

Many of the lessons I learned from Schoolhouse Rock I still use today. I still use the songs from Multiplication Rock to remember my basic math. When teaching about the U.S. Government, I still sing the song about the Preamble to the U.S. Constitution. I learned the order of the planets from Science Rock, and I still remember how to use the parts of speech from Grammar Rock.

In 1998 another addition was added to the Schoolhouse Rock line-up. Money Rock was created to teach kids about basic money facts; like how checks work, how to save money, budgeting, and how savings accounts use interest. Shortly after, a new video was added to the America Rock series. "I'm Gonna Send Your Vote to College" attempts to explain the Electoral College. Later "Scooter Computer and Mr. Chips" became the newest branch of Schoolhouse Rock. These videos explain the basic functions of how computers work.

The Walt Disney Corporation now owns the rights to Schoolhouse Rock and you can buy the entire series on DVD if you wish...(click here!) To read the, now famous, lyrics from the series click here.

No comments: