About ME

My photo
Grand Prairie, Texas, United States
Mr. E is a Christian, Husband, Father of 2, former Army Officer and Texas Rangers Baseball fan.

Monday, July 16, 2007

God is Renovating Our House


When my wife and I first purchased our home almost 4 years ago, we started to come up with a plan to slowly renovate several parts of the house. We were going to start with the master bathroom. Change the unattractive pink color and the sliding shower doors that are hard to slide and always get stuck. Then we were going to work on changing some ceiling fans and paint the kids closets. After that we were going to close-in the garage and turn it into a spare bedroom. Then we would replace our ancient air conditioning/heating unit and hot water heater. After that we would tear the wall paper down in the kitchen and repaint it. And finally we would replace the floors of our home with hardwood or newer carpet and paint the rest of the house. We could see ourselves turning our already nice home into our great home. I prayed to God to grant us extra money in our budget to make this happen. Apparently God had different plans!

First the ceiling fan in our daughter's room broke and would not run. So we replaced it. Then our dryer quit working and had to be replaced. Then a tree in our yard died and had to be cut down due to insurance liabilities. Then our air conditioning/heating unit finally broke down after almost 40 years of service. We had to borrow some money to get that replaced, but we managed to come up with the cash and even had our hot water heater replaced at the same time. Most recently our roof sprung a leak and water has been seeping into our attic, right above our kitchen. First a huge brown spot appeared over our breakfast table. We called roofer and got put on a list to have the roof fixed. He recommended replacing the entire roof so all repairs would match the rest of the roof. We decided just have the leaky area fixed due to finances. But due to all the recent rain, the roofer has not been able to get to our roof because they are behind in their schedule. So we "patched the leak" with a large tarp. While waiting on the roofer to finally get to us, the roof had leaked just enough to finally turn that big brown spot over our table into a hole. Just two days ago parts of our kitchen ceiling started to fall down into our kitchen.

"What's God got to do with this?", you might ask. He has everything to do with this. If you have been reading my blogs, you will note that I have decided to turn my life over to God. My job, my health, my family, and my home. I decided not to worry about everything that could go wrong in my life. I would serve God and do my best to find a job that honors Him and trust that he would take care of me and my family. I am so glad I did that, because before that, all these "disasters" that seem to plaguing our home would have driven my OCD self into depression, and such high stress, I might have died of a heart attack. "Where are we going to get the money?" "Our house is a crappy house!" "Insurance won't cover this!" But because my trust is in the mighty power of my LORD God, I am not worried at all, in fact I am at peace with all that is happening to us and our home. Instead of having an attitude of panic and worry, I have decided that God is renovating our house, one room at a time, according to His schedule, not mine. And if God is going to renovate our home, then He will provide the funds to have it done.

Rather than hate God and let my faith in Him falter due to these events. I am trusting in Him more every day because I know He will lead us through it all. He is faithful. Proverbs 3:25-26 says, "Have no fear of sudden disaster or of the ruin that overtake the wicked, for the LORD will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being snared." So, Bring down the ceiling, I will not stop trusting God. He is in control and He will provide for His children.

No comments: