About ME

My photo
Grand Prairie, Texas, United States
Mr. E is a Christian, Husband, Father of 2, former Army Officer and Texas Rangers Baseball fan.

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Baseball, A Great God, A Dumb Movie, Superman, Almost 5 Pull-Ups, and 26 Miles

It's been a fun mini-vacation. My family and I got to spend some quality time together over the past few days! Day 1: The kids and I got in some relaxing swim time at the hotel we stayed at while my wife was at her training with work. That evening we saw the Texas Rangers loose their baseball game to the Cleveland Indians. That sucked, but I did enjoy the time with my wife and kids. The kids went home from the Ranger game with their cousins leaving my wife and I alone for the night, and leaving me alone for the next day. Day 2: The next day, while my wife at her second and last day of training, I cruised the local used books stores looking for copies of books that I have been looking for. I found a copy of the number one book on my list and I was set for the day. Yes, reading is a good way to pass the time while I am alone. That afternoon I got a call regarding my most recent job interview to work at a local college. They wanted to set up a second interview for Monday. Ahhh! I have been called to jury duty for that day. The college so wanted to at least talk to me again, they were willing to look past the jury duty and they told me to call them when I got finished possibly serving on the jury. Cool! God is keeping His promise to help find me find a job! I have a Great God! That evening, reunited with our kids, we went to watch a movie with some family who lived in the area. It was a really dumb movie called Delta Farce (see updated 25 Dumbest Movie List). Despite being a dumb movie, I was actually somewhat impressed with the character played by Larry the Cable Guy. Day 3: Six Flags Over Texas! Despite scattered showers, we were able to ride several rides. I enjoyed riding Superman: Tower of Power. I overcame my fear of heights and had a great ride. Scared me to death, but it was fun! My daughter who hates "fast rides" rode The Mine Train roller coaster and loved it. My son rode the Shockwave with me and we all got we together on the Roaring Rapids. I had a great time with my wife and kids and other family members. Despite all the fun, it was a un-ride related event that stood out from the rest of the day. The U.S. Marines had this "event of sorts" where if you could do X amount of pull-ups/chin-ups you could win some prizes, such as dog-tags, t-shirts, etc... I figured, being ex-military, I could at least do the minimum 5 pull-ups to get a dog tag, so I got in line. When it came to my turn, I stepped up and did a whopping 2! Yes, 2! Not only that I hurt my wrist somehow and it hurts now to bend it. I felt so embarrassed. I am really out-of-shape! What was really bad was that my son did 5 pull-ups fairly easily. Yuck! At this point, I was determined that I had to do something to get into better shape. Day 4: Went to church services with my wife's family and ate at Jalapeno Tree! Yumm! Left the kids with their Aunt, Uncle and cousins for a week. Leaving my wife and I with some much needed bonding and alone time! On the drive home, my wife mentioned to me that she was thinking about starting a program she read on some one's blog about doing a Monthly Marathon, where you walk or jog, 26 miles in a month. You can do it all at once, NOT!, or spread the miles out over 30 days. This really appealed to me since I used to jog a lot in the college/Army days. I am going to do this, starting August 1st! I will let you know how it goes.
So this sums up our mini-vacation. Coming up for me -- job interview tomorrow, after jury duty, and pick up our copy of the last Harry Potter book.

No comments: