About ME

My photo
Grand Prairie, Texas, United States
Mr. E is a Christian, Husband, Father of 2, former Army Officer and Texas Rangers Baseball fan.

Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Questions Students Ask???

These are true questions that former students of mine have asked me over my 12 year teaching career...Feel free to laugh or cry.
1) Since I taught History or Social Studies I got this question a lot...just fill in the blank with any famous person. "Is ______________ still alive today?" (ex: George Washington, Abraham Lincoln etc...)
2) "If you go into space can you see the different colors of the countries?" -- this while looking at a globe.
3) "If I look really close at the map, can I see people moving?" -- Cheerleader asked this one, when I told her "Yes", she looked even closer.
4) "Did we win World War II?" -- No, Hitler is alive and well and we speak German!
5) "How did babies breath inside the mother's stomach before there were umbilical cords?" -- My response, "We used Scuba Gear." Her reply, "How did we get that in there?" -- I told her to go talk to her mother.
6) "Did America win the American Revolution?" -- God Save the Queen.
7) "If Hawaii is in Mexico, how come it took my family 14 hours to fly there." -- This was after doing a study of maps, and the inset map of Hawaii was shown near Mexico. -- My response, "The airlines just flew you in circles for a while so they can charge you more money for fuel and food."
8) Similar to #7, "If Alaska is under the United States like Mexico, why is Mexico hot and Alaska cold?" -- My response, "Since America has more money that Mexico, we can buy more air conditioners to keep it colder."
9. "Why can't the government just do a fund raiser, like car washes or sell candy, to raise money, rather than charge taxes?" -- actually not a bad question, the way the government spends money.
10. "Mr. E, why did you give me a zero on this paper, when I didn't even turn do the work and turn it in?" -- Hm mm, let's see, zero work = zero grade, make sense.
Teachers have a hard job...Go out and thank one for their efforts and pray for their sanity.

No comments: