About ME

My photo
Grand Prairie, Texas, United States
Mr. E is a Christian, Husband, Father of 2, former Army Officer and Texas Rangers Baseball fan.

Monday, December 22, 2008

A Very Long Day

Today I am going to do something either very generous or very insane. I am about to teach a couple an 8 hour Marriage Education Class, starting at 3:00 p.m.-11:00 p.m. This will put me home around 11:30 p.m. or so. To top is off I have been fighting a cold since last Thursday, and I am still coughing, sneezing and blowing my nose often. I hope my couple has lots of LYSOL.

This couple is getting married on Sunday the 28th and I was only person who was willing to teach them on short notice for that time of day. If they complete my class (and they better), they will get a certificate to save $60.00 when applying for their marriage license.

I am going in to work today at 12:00 noon, in order to flex some hours off and I am going to work at 9:00 tomorrow. I am flexing the rest of the overtime hours off on Wednesday so I can leave at 12:00 noon to spend Christmas Eve with my family.

2 comments:

Big Doofus (Roger) said...

So, if they finish the class, does the Government take the $60 off of the price of the marriage license hoping that the marriage will actually last? Is this a new thing in your state or has it been going on for a long time? If it's been up and running for a while, has it been successful? I'm just curious.

I hope you make it back to your family for Christmas Eve.

Merry Christmas!

Mr. E said...

Big Doofus;

This new marriage initiative bill started in Sept. of this year. So far it has been a huge success. The state raised the marriage licenses to $60.00 plus the County filing fee. If a couple takes 8 hours of pre-marriage education through a qualified provider with an accepted curriculum, the couple will qualify for a certificate that will allow them to waive the $60.00 state part of the fee.

Other cities and states that have done similar things have lowered their divorce rates anywhere from 10-42% We are hoping this program takes off well in Texas. If you want to know more about this program in Texas go to www.twogetherintexas.com and it will explain a lot.