About ME

My photo
Grand Prairie, Texas, United States
Mr. E is a Christian, Husband, Father of 2, former Army Officer and Texas Rangers Baseball fan.

Monday, November 10, 2008

Hey Wal-Mart, Are You Skipping Thanksgiving?

I was in my local Wal-Mart yesterday and I heard Christmas music playing over their speakers. Christmas already? What about Thanksgiving? I know there is not a specific "Thanksgiving" music genre, but to already be killing our ears with Christmas music is a little premature in my opinion.

Now, I love the Christmas season, but too much Christmas music makes me grumpy instead of cheery. I'm sure Wal-Mart still has plenty of other musical selections to play until after Turkey Day right? They have an entire music department they could raid from.

No offense to the birth of Christ or Santa, but I would like to be thankful for my blessings God has given me first, before I engage in my generous (according to the economy) gift giving and the listening of Christmas music.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As someone who worked in a retail store for many years, retail workers are in my thoughts this time of year.

They have to put up with the Christmas music and decorations for a longer and longer period every year. Starting in November, most retail workers work longer hours and deal with more stress from managers who are pushing for more sales and customers who are cranky and ready to be done with their shopping.

The best Christmas I had in a long time was the Christmas after I finally quit retail and swore off the commercialized holiday bustle.

Tech Daddy said...

It's not just Wal-Mart. Christmas music is in other stores and on the radio too, already. And of course there's the Christmas trees, the decorations, etc. that are already showing up too.